Friday, February 11, 2011

#42 The Smell of Madness

The beginning is like from a different, better universe. Then, a theme so subtle and fast, it disappears into a plain scenery (0'56'') where everything will be built again. The music pushes and pushes, tension is so high (2'16'') and then it all breaks (4'00''). We can try to fix it but the final reassuring chords are like shutting white doors. Do you want to be in or out?

Don't take me wrong but my music world is not the world of Chopin, in the same sense as Karajan's Beethoven is not my Beethoven. This piano sonata is an exception. Maybe this is a spot I can touch Chopin. Maybe it's because of young Pogorelich, after all.




Composer: Frédéric Chopin
Work: Piano Sonata No 2, I. Grave – Doppio movimento
Recording: Ivo Pogorelich

No comments:

Post a Comment